- Until 1923, the tournament was only three rounds followed by an 18 bar "Pub Crawl".
- Organizers are responsible for importing fresh cocktail wairesses for Tiger Woods each day.
- The first Open Champion in 1860, Willie Park Sr., turned his back on golf only to devote himself to an unseccesful obsession trying to invent the microwave oven.
- Reality star Snooki qualified to play in the 2007 Open but could not participate due to a schuduling conflict.
- The tournament was cancelled in 1871 due to there being no prize mooney available. Contestants gathered instead at a seaside resort and developed the game of beach volleyball.
- 1888 winner Jack Burns was later found to be a woman, however, was considered to be so unattractive the championship was not revoked.
- The phrase "Get In The Hole!' was first shouted at the 1987 Open at Turnberry and golf has never been the same.
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
The 141st British Open tees off tomorrow at Royal Lytham & St. Anne's golf course. While many people are aware of it's storied victories by Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods, there are many other fascinating tidbits about "The Open" (as it is called).
Posted by Trooper Thorn at 10:54 AM