Republican watchdogs cite some of the following "new" scenes and edits as examples of blatant political interference by Hollywood:
- The Soviet pilot of the MiG Maverick encounters at the film's opening bears an uncanny resemblance to Dick Cheney.
- When we first learn of the circumstances around Maverick's father's heroic death, his aviation call sign has been changed to "Barack".
- During the locker room scene, an unidentified naked black man walks by the shower while one towel-wearing pilots remarks "That Obama is one big dicked fighter jock!"
- After Goose's tragic death, Maverick makes and impassioned soliloquy for a universal health care plan that might have saved his friend.
- When Maverick is about the throw Goose's dog tags into the ocean, a stranger (who bears a striking resemblance to Barack Obama) puts his hand on Mav's shoulder and says, "Son, I understand you're upset right now, but don't you think Goose would want his son to have those someday when he's older?" Maverick pauses, then thanks him for his wise words, pockets the dog tags and walks away.
- During the final battle, Maverick is saved when an unseen Tomcat by shoots down a MiG that got on his tail. Afterwards, Ice Man confesses it was not him that saved Maverick but "Obama got the job done!"