- Her mother, Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld was born in Germany.
- She assumed the throne at 18.
- Victoria came up with the concept of YouTube. However, due to the lack of both video recording technology and the Internet, she was not able to implement it.
- Victoria's personal piggie bank was the precursor to the modern International Monetary Fund. Unlike today's organization, her's was not rocked by scandal.
- Torrid affair with US President Grover Cleveland was completely "under the radar" in a time prior to the 24 hour news universe.
- Her reign of 63 years and 7 months is longer than that of any other British monarch.
- The period of her reign and the cultural, political and economic events that occurred therein are known as the Victorian era.
- In her will, Victoria left instruction that if her life story was ever recreated as a TV movie or mini-series, she would like to be played by Jane Seymore.
Monday, May 23, 2011
Today Canadians celebrate the birthday of Queen Victoria (1819 - 1901) with a civic holiday. But how much do you know about this long reigning monarch? Here are some little known facts about her: